Vegetarian Puff Pastry Pizza Recipe
18 May 2020 - 4 min read
A life without pizza is not worth our thoughts. And when take out isn’t an option — DIY. As novices in the kitchen, we use pre-made shop bought puff pastry as the base, but feel free to make your own. The beauty of this recipe is that you can add any vegetables to make the pizza sauce and as many toppings as you want (even add meat if you like). Enjoy!
- 1 packet of puff pastry
- 1-½ cups frozen vegetables (we like carrots, spinach or broccoli)
- 2 tbsp pesto
- ½ lemon
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, or try goat cheese or your
- cheese of choice
- handful basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- In a pan of boiling water, add your frozen vegetables and leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes until fully cooked (it’s best to look at the instructions for each vegetable with this). Drain the vegetables and transfer into a blender. Add the pesto, lemon juice and seasoning, and blend until fully smooth; it should be a thick texture.
- Unroll the puff pastry on the greaseproof paper-lined tray and score lines with the end of a knife to make your crust. The lines should be one inch from the edge to make a rectangle and should not go through the pastry.
- Next, spread the sauce inside the lines to form your pizza base. Make sure you don’t put too much on, as you will get a soggy bottom. Once it’s around ¼" to ½" thick, layer on your cheese and your basil leaves.
- Finally, paint the egg yolk onto the edges so that they become the crusts we all love.
Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the crusts have risen and are golden, and the toppings are bubbling.
Serve with a side salad of your choice.